Tuesday, October 7, 2008

GENERAL CONFERENCE-TRUTH & JOY

General Conference weekend! A time to be joined with like minded individuals all across the world and be spiritually fed. So far during our sojourn in SoCal we have watched it on the internet, usually without major mishap - an occasional delay while the computer buffers itself but all in all, technology is pretty wonderful that we can all be engaged in this experience at the same time. However this October we were able to watch it on cable TV on the BYU channel because we have a three month freebie with Cox. (I've decided it's along the lines of getting someone addicted to something with free samples and then once they're addicted you start charging them. Ask me in November if I have given the cable box back or got suckered into keeping it.)

Anyways, the messages were spot on as always. I appreciated President Uchtdorf's message during the RS broadcast entitled Happiness Your Heritage. I sat in the darkened chapel taking notes and feeling the power of eternity surround me. Some of the things that impressed me -
  • This is not a pep talk to encourage those who are sinking in quick sand to imagine they are basking on the beach
  • What is the greatest happiness possible? Heavenly Father's
  • God of creation, God of compassion. Creativity & compassion contribute to God's happiness. We can emulate these for our own happiness.
  • We are spirit daughters of the most creative being in the universe.
  • Creation means bringing into existence something that did not exist before—colorful gardens, harmonious homes, family memories, flowing laughter
Bits & Pieces - Elder Andersen's comment: 'Faith is not only a belief, it's a choice.' Elder Wirthlin - Understand the principle of compensation. Elder Hales - Meekness is not weakness. Elder Ballard - Not time for the spiritually faint of heart. And Sister Dalton's message, "Are we...being poisoned by degrees? What could be more deceptive than to entice the youth of this noble generation to do nothing or to be busy ever-texting but never coming to a knowledge of the truths contained in a book that was written for you and your day by prophets of God—The Book of Mormon?" When I heard that I laughed and thought, I should text Noelle right now. Wouldn't you know, seconds later my cell phone beeped and when I looked it was from Noelle and all it said was 'Don't even say it!' HAHAHA I love that my family was listening and applying in their own homes. I felt a powerful witness during Elder Lawrence Corbridge's message The Way. As he testified of Jesus Christ the Holy Ghost confirmed the message to my spirit. I think his talk needed to be seen not just read. If you didn't watch it live, find it on KBYU and watch it online. It's so important to have a frequent reminder of our debt to the Savior.

There were many other messages which spoke to my soul as I'm sure there were for you too. It can best be summed up by the instruction from President Monson of Finding Joy in the Journey.

No comments: