Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September Always Makes Me Melancholy

From the time I was a little girl, September meant back to school shopping. Even when there was little or no money, my Mom made sure that we had new school clothes to start out the year. When I was in elementary school she would dress me in turtle neck shirts and matching knee high socks, paired with a cute little skirt, I was tres chic! You have to remember that in those days you always had to wear a dress to school. Of course often there were shorts underneath, just so you could do proper flips on the monkey bars without flashing the frilly undies to everyone!

In later years, as I become a Mom September meant many other things. No longer were there little ones at home during the day - I was free to pursue other things during the hours of 9-3. Of course often those pursuits revolved around those absent progeny. I was involved in PTA, School Community Council and volunteering as a room mother.

When the kids hit high school, September meant cross country meets. I really miss running from one vantage point to another just to yell words of encouragement to the team as they pushed the limits of the endurance to go the three miles in a race. GO WEST!!! will always have special meaning to me.

I miss Back to School night. I appreciated putting faces to the teacher's names that had become an integral part of my children's daily existence.

I miss August's rain storms and Keileigh jumping in the puddles.

I miss the Family Reunion in Bear Lake...

There's the changing leaves that I'm missing while I'm here in California...

There's the Peter Breinholt September concert in Sundance...

There's so much more...

The one thing I don't miss - HOT SUMMER DAYS!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm so sorry! The Fall is definitely not a time to take for granted here. And I am so happy to hear you like Peter B. Isn't he great? I love his concerts at Sundance too, even though I've only been once.

A. Pearce said...

You always seem to help me realize that I should be grateful for the situations life presents. So now I know to appreciate September days because they won't last forever. Thanks! ~ Amor

Keileigh said...

I love fall as well mommy! but now you have pretty utah fall leafs thanks to your wonderful daughter :)

love you! xoxo- kei