Friday, May 1, 2009

Dream Weaver

My Mom mentioned that she had been having crazy dreams during her recent illness. I told her to embrace and enjoy the diversion, that a dream is like a mini-vacation. We laughed about that but it has stuck with me today because...

last night I had a dream...

I know there's nothing worse than listening to another person's dreams. But my post isn't so much about analyzing or identifying our sleep filled ramblings

It's about recognizing that sometimes dreams are a way for us to connect the dots beyond our current memory...

Or realizing the validity of the scripture:
  1. 17 And it shall come to pass in the alast days, saith God, I will bpour out of my cSpirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall dprophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall edream dreams:

This dream was based on an experience I had twelve years ago.

In the summer of 1997 I had the opportunity to participate in the building of a neighborhood park. It was a great experience as two communities came together to celebrate the founding of our neighborhood where the first Mormon pioneers entered the Salt Lake Valley and spent a night near 1700 South & 500 East.

(I could go on at length about the awesome park building experience, but that's not the point so I'll move on.)

An event was planned to celebrate the completion of the park. A choir of children from the two communities was invited to sing at the dedication and I was in charge of leading the music. My dream was the remembrance of this experience. There were many children that attended accompanied by primary teachers and leaders who placed their young charges in clusters on the rocks representing the Salt Lake Valley. I remember one particular mother with two beautiful little boys in tow. She didn't seem to be there because she had to be, but seemed to float in a world that revolved around these adorable little ones. She had a lovely voice I quickly realized and a kind disposition as well as she sat on the rocks between her sons, and for some reason I recognized something. She was sweetly hesitant about being placed up front, but she sang out clearly and it helped to have her strong voice among the children, and her sons were so cute and engaged that they added to the group where I was directing and I wanted them where I could see them. I was drawn to this woman for some reason, and attributed it to appreciating a good singer in a setting where it was needed. I never knew their names and didn't see them at subsequent park events.

Ten years later my daughter started dating one of these beautiful boys...

Eleven years later I met his mother and felt that kindred spirit recognition. We have enjoyed a delightful friendship, much of it through our shared appreciation of music and love for our children. Through conversation we realized our shared story...

Twelve years later I dreamed a dream and realized that eternal connections can shine through the muddle of mortality. Those glimmers of recognition exist and bless our lives as we realize that relationships existed before we began this journey and our spiritual self can leap at things our mortal eyes may miss. Old friends can reconnect and the veil seems a little thinner as we 'see' things as they truly are, and even though I later realized that we were kindred spirits reconnecting, I had forgotten those feelings that first stirred within me of unidentified spiritual insight...

1 comment:

Noelle said...

I never knew that story about Alice! That is so cool!