Monday, November 3, 2008

SATURDAY'S WARRIOR OR SATURDAY'S PACIFIST?

I have always been a peaceful person. I have no problem seeing both sides of an argument and trying to understand where the other person is coming from. I can look at so many of these political contests and see what appeals to people from both perspectives.

I mention this because I have been in the company of people who can't. And to listen to their dogma is draining. To question them and to try to help them understand that no one is pure evil is taxing and to help them try to work & play well with others can be like spitting in the wind. You end up with slime all over yourself!

Which brings me back to the title of this entry. Back in the 70's Doug Stewart & Lex de Azevedo wrote a musical play entitled Saturday's Warrior which had to do with the idea that we live in the last days. It was a high school favorite with my LDS friends. Listening to our well worn LP's over and over we memorized all the lyrics and went to see it performed numerous times in Pasadena and other locations as new companies were formed. We would act out all of our favorite scenes and take turns playing Jimmy, Pam & Mack. Years later, when my children were young a new video version came out and a new generation became committed fanatics. They loved it because it was one of the few Sunday activities allowed involving the TV! But they also felt the eternal truths portrayed.

Today it hit me though that the title includes more than the reference to the timing of the last days, it also includes the condition we will face in these challenging times. Living here in California during the battle over Proposition 8 I have become acutely aware of the Warrior status that is being required of me. And I have had to shift from my peace-loving, accept everyone without pre-conditions attitude to having to stand up for the truths revealed from God to a Prophet. I have struggled with making phone calls to voters, feared my car would be keyed because of a bumper sticker and worried that every honk is a one-fingered salute. In addition I have not wanted to put people on the defensive as I sought to share my feelings about this important issue.

But I hear veteran benefits are great! And just as earthly vets get points on jobs and home loan ops. I'm hoping this battlefield time earns me a little more equity on that mansion in heaven....

No comments: