Monday, February 23, 2009

Dead In The Water

I have lost my favorite necklace. The one I wear all the time, whenever I can, that goes with everything and represents the real me. You know the one I mean, don't you?

My Kodak EasyShare Z612.

It's Dead...Dead In the Water...Well actually dead from the water. Salt water that is. Pacific Ocean to be exact encountered at Table Rock in Laguna Beach, zip code 92651.

Just had to have that one closeup shot of the strange configuration of rock, wave and sea plants. Could hear the wave approaching and figured my feet would be covered, maybe even up to my knees, but I didn't take my eye away from the viewfinder to see the rogue wave approach, come shooting up the undercut rock and catapult up and over to nail me head to toe in saline drenched incredulity. All the while Eric watching in disbelief not able to voice a quick warning to 'Save The camera if not yourself!'

Darling spouse capturing the moment with one of the last pictures my dearly departed friend would squeak out, then pulling out his tie-dyed hankie to dry off the silver & optics. Me using the tweezers from my Swiss-army knife key chain to pluck sand from the telephoto channel before retracting. Examining the memory chip and battery compartments and finding them dry, hope arising that it will 'be ok.' Driving home and immediately consulting the internet for information on salt water on cameras (...all of us will eventually face the inevitable wet camera scenario...the only thing worse then salt water is acid...) Hopes are dimming, get ready to pull the life-support plug...

Are prayers in vain?

New hope in passing days. Batteries and memory chip unloaded, recharged. Every so often a check brings optimism (it's working!) or despair (it's not!) I check the price on a new camera but it seems pathetic to buy the exact same one so I look to upgrade and am not excited.

But I need my favorite necklace...

2 comments:

Noelle said...

I thought this post of your "favorite necklace" was going to be about that crazy colorful bird one that is a million years old and is so so cool. I was thinking it had been eaten by the sea... but NO mother... just you CAMERA!!?? Camera's are replaceable silly. Besides, now you can upgrade your pixels and all those other fun things. If you get another Kodak then it'll prob still have the same software and be easy to navigate the settings. No worries. Early (EARLY) birthday present?? How'd you get pics of the Jewkes if your camera broke??

shawna said...

Christy, you without a camera!? I just can't imagine it!