Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What Was That?

Today I was in Laguna Beach donating blood at South Coast Medical Center which has this great view of the Pacific Ocean through a panoramic window running the length of the hospital. As a few of us were recovering - drinking the water, eating the snacks - I noticed a flock of seagulls going crazy on the water. I figured it was just a bunch of fish below that had them all excited for a food fest, but as I watched more I realized there was a lot of action just below the surface and that occasionally something was breaching. There was a small boat near the action, and then one of the huge Whale Watching Tour Boats came barreling into the area. We excitedly discussed the possibilities knowing there was something cool going on even though we couldn't identify what was churning the waters.

I did a little research to see what is going on along the coast and found Captain Dave's Dolphin Safari Sightings Log. There have been 1000+ Common Dolphins along the coast in the last few days! (Scroll down on the page a little to see the 2008 listing dates have actually rolled over to 2009.)

I also found several great videos of sea life from along the coast. It's amazing to think of the amount of animal life just miles away and yards down! (My apologies to Keileigh who is terrified of huge animals below the sea, but I think it's pretty awesome.)

And for the budget minded starting January 6th they have a special Tuesday half price rate of $14.50! Can't beat that for thrills!

(Of course I could include the map link and an article on shark sightings along the coast... cue Jaws music...)

4 comments:

Noelle said...

HA HA HA I love keileigh's fear of large sea creatures. Remember when we sort of forgot to tell her there were sea lions at the Montage... just to get her into the water? It was HILARIOUS watching her pull her legs up underneath her when we told her what happened minutes before. I miss Treasure Island!!

Noelle said...

p.s. those videos were INSANE!!!!!!!

Mer said...

Yeah yeah yeah. You have dolphins. We have inverted air.

Rub it in, whydontcha. :D

shawna said...

Hey Christy, I found your blog! I want to see those dolphins. Sounds like fun. :) shawna