Tuesday, July 29, 2008

EARTHQUAKE!

Ok so California is shaking again. At 11:42:15 am there was a 5.8 (later downgraded to a 5.4) earthquake based in Chino Hills, CA which is about 35 miles northeast of us. I was upstairs doing my Jane Fonda Strength & Toning work out (you know the drill - 'knees bent, hips tucked under, chest lifted, shoulders down, we don't want shoulders for earrings', oh wait that's the Mari Windsor line, I digress, 'chin tucked in, nice & gentle stretch, right ear to shoulder, just to the point of gentle tension, we're not in it for pain, etc...') while Eric was working downstairs on endless reports. Our landlord Leonard & his friend Craig were working outside with ladders, sanders and assorted tools making those productive noises that show home improvement progress being made. Suddenly everything started rattling, the pottery on the TV stand started walking and I thought they were going to take a dive. I could hear Leonard dancing around on the roof and thought - 'man he's awfully heavy footed, he's going to fall off!' Eric on the main floor spent a nanosecond trying to determine 'what crazy aerobic workout is Christy doing now?' before he figured it out and hollered - 'did you feel that earthquake?' I said 'I thought it was just those guys on the roof being clumsy'. But no! The chandelier was swaying and everything throughout the condo was being rearranged through powers greater than mere mortals can create. No damage here though! Just a brief reminder that we live on an earthquake fault. SO BEWARE tectonic plates and all that science stuff that rules our world!

I asked Leonard what his thoughts were on being on a steeply pitched roof of a three story building when the world started rolling - 'I was just worried that I was in for an E ticket ride!'

1 comment:

Noelle said...

scary!! i'm glad you're all safe!!